Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Paid in Full

By: Adam McClendon
www.newlineministries.com


On November 10, 2008, I received “that” call.  You know, it’s the call that everyone dreads.  It’s the call that tells you…something has happened to someone you love.  I can distinctly remember the place and date because I was on the phone with an ol’ military buddy of mine telling him happy Marine Corps birthday!

My wonderful father-n-law had passed suddenly.  I was in shock.  A deep sadness quickly filled me like a cold pipe had burst in my soul.  Thoughts filled my mind as I drove home, loaded the van with the family, and headed to Alabama to be with my mother-n-law.

After spending some time comforting one another, planning the events for the coming days, and settling down, it was apparent that someone needed to go through all the paperwork: bills, life insurance policies, figuring out passwords, and payment systems, etc.

A piece of paper caught my attention as I dug through some mail.  It was a loan statement.  This loan had been taken out a few months previously at a criminally high interest rate, around 20+ percent.  I was horrified!  Why?  What?  Oh no!  My father-n-law had been working on a patent for a new invention and was about to release a prototype, but why would he sign off on this loan to help?  Sweat began to bead up on my forehead as I felt my blood pressure rise.  This could financially sink my mother-n-law.  Options began to fill my mind as I paced back and forth.  Finally, I stopped and decided before going any further that I needed to call.  The lady answered, and I explained the situation.  “Let me look up that account for you Mr. McClendon.”  The pause seemed like an hour, and then the wonderful news.  “Um, Mr. McClendon, it looks like that account has already been ‘Paid in Full’.”

YES!  Oh, the relief experienced at the sound of those three little words is almost indescribable.  “Paid in Full!”  Wonderful!  I had been stressing needlessly over a debt that I didn’t owe.

Some Christians are living that way.  They are living in guilt, shame, and sorrow over past sins.  Their past owns them and holds them down.  They feel worthless, dirty, and unusable.  Okay, maybe not all the time.  Maybe these feelings come in waves or seasons.  Maybe, it happens when looking on facebook and seeing an old friend that reminds them of their rebellious past or sexual exploits.  Maybe it’s a song that stirs hurt, anger, and abusive thoughts from a season long forgotten.  What ever it is, they need to remember something…


If you are a believer in Christ, your sins have been “Paid in Full.”  You are now made right with God through Jesus.  Believers who then live in regret and pain over past sins are ignoring an important truth.  The debt has already been paid.  So, in light of that wonderful truth, may we walk in freedom, may we walk in righteousness, may we experience peace, may we live out the wonderful salvation that is ours in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Line Ministries reserves the right to edit or remove comments.