Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Romans 13 Convicts Me

By: Adam McClendon

Adam is the Lead Pastor at Springhill Church and the Director of New Line Ministries.


I never cease to be amazed at my sense of entitlement, superiority, and independence.  Wow, just reading that list makes me cringe and think “Not me!  No way!”  Yet, the whispers of my heart betray me.  They reveal a secret side of me that I hate to acknowledge: one that reads certain parts of God’s Word and then, like a pagan, dismisses it as archaic and irrelevant.

Recently, I was confronted with such a passage.  Romans 13:1-7 is a powerful, under-preached, section of Scripture.  Please, go ahead and read it. 

This text is a testimony to the sovereign orchestration of God within human history.  God established government for the purpose of promoting good and punishing evil.  I’m called…no commanded, to submit to the government so long as they are not asking me to do something that is in direct violation of God’s will as revealed in the Bible.  While the text uses the example of taxes, it is not limited to that. 

Now, a couple of thoughts need to be interjected at this point. 

First, yes, the Holy Spirit through Paul is presenting a general exhortation of submission and not calling for blind allegiance.  Acts 5:29 shows we are to obey God above men, and 2 Thessalonians 2:1-13 reveals that the state can be influenced and controlled by evil that should be resisted.  Romans 13 is simply showing the normal relationship between people (especially believers) and the state.  The text is not saying that we should never be critical of government or never seek to change government, but we should always proceed with respect and honor in submission to God first and foremost, and not bowing at the altar of self.

Second, the leaders who ruled in Paul’s day were at times unbelievably cruel.  They were demanding, imposing inconvenient requirements (Matthew 5:41), and brutal.  2 Peter 2:13-17 would even specifically mention the emperor.

So, why do we find ourselves constantly criticizing those whom God has appointed over us?  Why do we constantly look for ways our government can help us, versus looking for ways we can help our government be more successful, more noble, more God-honoring?  Why do we stretch the ethical limits of tax deductions?  Why do we complain about speed limits (or absolutely ignore them)?  Why do we, when claiming to be believers, run slanderous and twisted ads against our political rivals who are currently in office?  Why do we disrespect and dishonor the President through water cooler and beauty parlor conversations or public Facebook posts?

The fact is that I have a problem with God’s governmental structure at times.  I have a problem because God did not put me in charge.  In the end, the whispers of my heart betray me.  They tell me that I don’t like having authority over me.  I think I know better than those over me.  I’m smarter.  I think I know the solutions to the global problems they face, and I’m arrogant to think so.


God, please forgive me (us) and change my (our) heart.

www.newlineministries.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Line Ministries reserves the right to edit or remove comments.