Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Gracious Host: Pt 2

By: Adam McClendon
www.newlineministries.com 

Last week, I posted about the graciousness of God and the heart of thanks that should flow from recognizing all that he has done for us based on Psalm 23. 

In thinking on those ideas, some questions naturally arose.  What practically can we do?  What can we do to help focus on him?  What can we do to be more thankful and less “Captain Grumpy-Pants”? 

In light of those questions, here are four tips to help us shift our focus off of the distractions of this world that try and rob us from seeing the blessings of God in our midst.
1. We need to remember that God is good and be thankful in (not necessarily for) all circumstances.

2. We need to remember that God does not exist for our comfort, but his glory and his purpose in bringing the gospel to the nations.

3. We need to remember that we are never forsaken by God regardless of how anything may feel.

4. We need to reflect on the blessings that are all around us and not take them for granted.  Below are a few blessings upon which I’ve recently reflected:
* God has given me great shelter. 
* God has given me a heart for him.
* God has given me his word. 
* God has given me the ability to work and a job.
* God has given me friends.
* God has given me gracious reminders of his presence in creation.
* God has given me Christian music where his truth is wonderfully and creatively put to music. 
* God has given me the ability to speak.
* God has given me the opportunity to learn more about the things of God through books and education.
* God has given me the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit who will never leave me. 
* God has given me food and water. 
* God never lets me fall too far.
* God has given me a godly, gospel-centered church.
* God has given me a life of laughter and fun. 
* God has given me a new identity, whereby, I am a child of God and my past no longer determines who I am.
* God has placed me in a time with great technological advances where I can stay connected with my family even when I am away.
* God has placed me in a country where I am not physically persecuted for my faith.


God has been so good to us.

Let’s stop looking at the difficulties, and focus on the blessing because gazing upon grace should bring gratitude.


Let’s stop looking at things that rob us from seeing God’s glorious graciousness in our life.

www.newlineministries.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Line Ministries reserves the right to edit or remove comments.