Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Reflections on My Ministry at Graceland

By: Adam McClendon
www.newlineministries.com 

This coming Sunday, June 8, is my last Sunday as a pastor at Graceland Baptist Church.  My family and I first attended Graceland in the fall of 2006 and became involved very quickly.  Leaving to go serve at another church (Springhill Baptist Church) has been an incredibly difficult decision.  As I reflect on this time of transition and the past 8 years at Graceland, here are 10 things that I’ve learned (or been reminded of):

1. Falling in love with the people makes the transition horrible, but the memories special.  Saying goodbye to people I love is so hard, yet I’m so grateful to have experienced these deep friendships that have developed.

2. Working to understand where people are before seeking to take them where they need to be is important.  I spent a lot of time studying the history of Graceland and as a result, it made me more understanding, patient, and provided a platform from which I could speak into many of their lives more effectively. 

3. Serving is not an option and brings some of the greatest joy and alleviates some of the greatest pains of ministry.  Serving has a way of taking eyes off of self and to-do lists and placing them on people.  Serving tends to ground my feet in the reality of ministry, allows relationship with other members to flourish, often relieves stress, sets an example, brings immediate gratification, and is an act of obedience. 

4. Listening to fans or critics will leave a person inflated or defeated.  The truth is usually somewhere in the middle.  I tried to find some reasonable leaders who were among the silent majority and got honest feedback from them. 

5. Saying no is okay, most people will understand.  No one can be all things to all people, and everyone has limited time and talents.  Most people get that and were understanding when I said no.

6. Balancing family and ministry is a moving target that must be hit.  Demands at home are always changing, but so are demands at church.  It is necessary at times to make church a priority over family, just as it is necessary at times to make family a priority over church.  I found that I frequently had to have conversations with my wife and others in ministry to regularly evaluate how I was doing.

7. Practicing what is preached is critical to credibility.  It’s easy to preach a sermon.  It’s hard to live one.  I often struggle to practice some of the things that I preach.  It’s hard, but necessary.  People are watching and when they saw me practice what I preached despite how hard it was, it brought credibility and usually an openness on their part to try a little harder.

8. Being invited to listen to people’s most intimate thoughts and struggles is a privilege not to be taken lightly.  I’m burdened and blessed to have been able to walk through some terribly dark times with some of the most wonderful people I’ve ever met.  Thank you for sharing the personal and dark corners of your world with me as you sought to live more surrendered to Jesus, the light of the world. 

9. Being in ministry isn’t glamorous, but it is an amazing privilege and full of ups and downs.  A great pressure exists to try and become a rock-star pastor.  Ministry isn’t about personal glory or the glory of your “church”; rather, it is a privilege to serve people and Christ in this way for the glory of His name.  Sometimes, it’s a blast.  Other times, it’s miserable.  But, it’s always worth it! 

10. I really do love these people and will greatly miss this place, but am equally excited about the new adventure that awaits.

Goodbye Graceland and thank you for the privilege of serving as a pastor here.  Thank you for your love and support.  Please come visit our family in Missouri anytime.


www.newlineministries.com 

1 comment:

New Line Ministries reserves the right to edit or remove comments.