Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Lord is My Shepherd

By: Adam McClendon
www.newlineministries.com

So often, when I think of the 23rd Psalm, I think of funerals.  This reaction seems due in part to that vivid statement at the beginning of verse 4, “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil….”

However, Psalm 23 is not just an epitaph.  It is a Psalm for the living.  This Psalm is describing the Shepherd’s loving care for his living sheep while providing a confident hope for a future glory.

David begins his Psalm with a simple confession, “The Lord is my shepherd….”  So much truth and comfort can be found in that simple statement; however, one question particularly stands out to me at this stage in my spiritual walk: Do I yield to the shepherding hand of God in every area of my life?

Do I acknowledge God as the Shepherding Lord that he is even when I’m at work?  When I’m at home?  What about late at night when everyone is asleep?  What about business trips?  After all, what happens at Vegas…well, God still sees.

The Good Shepherd has a purpose in leading his sheep down the right path for his name’s sake.  Am I faithfully following for the glory of his name?

Do I seek to be sensitive to his shepherding-touch even in the midst of the mundane moments of life?  For example, what about when I’m in the grocery store?  Am I seeking his guidance, looking to his leadership in how I use the money he has given me, how I control my eyes, my tongue, and my actions while I’m there as a testimony for his name’s sake?  When I’m mowing the lawn, am I sensitive to the Shepherd’s guidance?  Am I open to his prompting to mow the neighbor’s yard, pray for my children, or quit mowing and go inside and spend time with my spouse?  When at work, am I open to him guiding me through his agenda for my day versus what my Outlook calendar says?

These are important questions that are prompted when I seek to live under the Shepherding hand of God. 


May God help me to see and submit to his leadership, glorifying him in all that I do.  For, the Lord is my Shepherd.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Line Ministries reserves the right to edit or remove comments.