Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Lone Ranger Christians

By Joanna K. Harris
Joanna Harris is an author and blogger with a tremendous passion for God.  You can contact Joanna here.  For more on Joanna and her ministry, check out her website here.  There you can also find links to her other blogs.

You’ve probably heard people say, “There are no Lone Ranger Christians.” Well, as a huge Lone Ranger fan (I think I've seen every episode at least twice), I beg to differ. Personally, I think we need a whole lot more Lone Ranger-like Christians.


First of all, as any true fan will tell you, the Lone Ranger wasn't alone. He was called the "Lone" Ranger, because he was the only Texas Ranger who survived a brutal attack by outlaws. But he knew better than to ride alone.

He had a faithful partner – Tonto, who served selflessly alongside him.
He had various helpers – his nephew for one.
He had a well-trained, magnificent horse – Silver, who carried him across the frontier and frequently helped him escape from the bad guys.
He had practical support – a friend who ran his silver mine, and a banker who exchanged his silver for cash when he needed it.
He had friends of influence – from sheriffs to governors, Indian chiefs to clergy, who assisted in his crime-fighting efforts.

The Lone Ranger understood and practiced the value of a strong support team.


Second, the Lone Ranger lived for a clearly defined mission. He devoted his life to bringing justice to the lawless and peace to the law-abiding.

Instead of accumulating things or seeking his own comfort, he used his resources to further his mission. He didn’t take the money from his silver mine and settle down somewhere to be “comfortable.” He gave of what he had to help others.

He valued truth and exposed deception wherever he went. (Not all bad guys were outlaw types. Sometimes, they were “respectable” ranchers or bankers.)

The Lone Ranger risked his life time and again for justice. And he never sought praise or accolades from men. As soon as the wrong was righted, he rode off to find another person in need. Fulfilling his mission was more important than temporal rewards.


Finally, the Lone Ranger lost his own life for a bigger purpose. After seeing the burial of his fellow rangers slain in the attack, he also buried his old identity and life. From that day forward, he took on a new name and a new life.

Because of the way he lived, his reputation spread. Everyone knew what kind of man the Lone Ranger was and what he stood for. His new name brought fear to the bad guys and gave hope to the needy. And we still talk about him today! (Well, at least some of us do). =)


Ok, so maybe that's more Lone Ranger trivia than you ever wanted to know, but when I think about this fictional character, I’m inspired to be that kind of Christian.

I want to have a strong support team – like Paul who always took a partner on his journeys, who had support from various churches and fellowship with other godly leaders.

I want to live my life devoted to my calling and mission from God. I don’t want to get distracted by material things or my own comfort. I want to expose deception and see people set free by God’s truth! I want to be like Joseph, Esther, and Nehemiah.

I want to remember that my life is no longer my own. I have lost my life in Christ, and I now live for HIS name and HIS glory! I want my new name of “Christ-follower” to bring fear to the kingdom of darkness and hope to those in need – like Peter and John, who spread the fragrance of Christ all over the known world. 

I want to live in a way that is far beyond what I can do in my own strength. I want people to look at me and see the hero of our eternal story – JESUS! 


What about you? Who do you want to be?

Do you want to become a more Lone Ranger-like Christian? Obviously it’s a lot easier to live like a hero in a half-hour episode of fiction than in real life. =) But I believe that with God ALL thing are possible. We can indeed be like the heroes of the faith who also lived this way. And we have more resources than the Lone Ranger ever had. We have God’s Word and the Holy Spirit living in us!

What do we still need? Willing hearts. A daily prayer – Lord, please keep making me into the person you want me to be…perhaps even a Lone Ranger-like Christian. Amen.



Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. –Hebrews 12:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Line Ministries reserves the right to edit or remove comments.