Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Walking in the Light

By: Adam McClendon
www.newlineministries.com
 

John 3:20–21: “For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed.  But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God.”

I hate roaches.  No really!  As I type, my skin feels like it is crawling and I’m having that nasty tingling feeling on my neck because I’m grossed out.  Why is it so gross?  Because when I was 12, I went to spend the night with a poor family friend whose home was infested with roaches.  “Infested” is putting it mildly.  Literally, they could have been on the reality show. 

Everything was fine until we went to bed and the lights went out.  About 2am, I woke up feeling something crawling on my face.  Yes!  Roaches were on my face!  I freaked out!  Needless to say, I “slept” the rest of the night with the lights on.

I know this is a gross illustration, but it drives home the point that gross “stuff” comes out in the darkness.  Roaches don’t like the light, because they get exposed.  They like to move under the cover of darkness. 

It is this same light – darkness tension that John uses to illustrate the difference between those who are children of God (John 1:2) and those who are not. 

The text says that those whose life is characterized by wickedness, they hate the light.  They hate Jesus Christ.  Wow, that’s pretty strong.  You may say, “No, they don’t hate Jesus, they hate the light,” but Jesus is the light (John 1:7-9; 8:12; 9:5; 12:46). 

When someone’s life is bent in rebellion against Jesus, that person “hates,” “rejects,” and “shows disdain for” Jesus regardless of how many prayers they have prayed, church services attended, communion wafers eaten, or converts made.

The opposite is also true.   Those whose life is bowed in submission and obedience to Jesus love him.  Isn’t that what he himself declared: “If you love me, you will keep my commandments” (John 14:15)?

This doesn’t mean that salvation is worked for, but it does mean that it is worked out and manifested through our good works (Eph 2:10; Phil 2:12).

John 3:36 vividly reiterates this truth: “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.”

So, are you of the light or are you a spiritual cockroach that loves to hide their true identity through a secret life of darkness?  Jesus died and rose again so that through his Spirit believers could walk in the abundant life he provides (John 10:10-11; 20:22).

When Jesus is embraced as the Son of God through faith, your life is changed.  Are you changed?  Are you different?  Are you embracing the Light? 

The message of John echoes through time urging you to do so.


Prayer:
Father of Light, please help me to walk in the Light of Christ by faith.  Forgive me of my dark tendencies and cut away the cancer of sin from my life.  Give me a greater understanding of your will and a deep desire to walk in accordance with that will.  May your light not only change me for your glory, but then shine through me to be a light to the nations so that others can experience the abundant life that Christ brings.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Line Ministries reserves the right to edit or remove comments.